Sunday, January 22, 2012

If the Great Gatsby was Narrated by Nick

            So this was a weird blog because I am in the Nick group I rewrote the scene on pages 57-59.       





            Jordan Baker was a horrible person, and she avoided smart and observant men to hide what she really was.  Not only was she a liar and a cheat but she used the ignorance of others to make sure that no one thought of her in that way.

           

            She was unable to be at a disadvantage.  She was willing to do anything to be ahead of other people.  Suddenly I remembered, she had been accused of moving her ball in a semi-final round of a golf tournament.  The accusers probably cracked and died away with all the attention.  But not Jordan, she had probably been lying and cheating her entire life so she did it like it was no big deal.  She could keep that calm insolent smile flashing towards the world, all the while lying and cheating to satisfy the demands of her hard, jaunty body,



            It made no difference to me.  Dishonesty in a woman is a thing you never blame deeply- I was casually sorry, and then I forgot.  It was on that same house party that we started talking about driving a car.  It had started when we came so close to some workers that our fender hit a man's button.



            "You're a rotten driver" I protested "Either you ought to be more carful or you oughtn't to drive at all".  I was totally serious she was going to kill someone but she just laughed and said "I am careful".



            What!! I was completely right about her; she cared for no one but herself.  "No you're not"



            "Well other people are" she said calmly.

            "What's that got to do with it".

            "They'll stay out of my way; it takes two for an accident".

            "Suppose you met someone as careless as yourself what'll happen then?"  

            "I hope I never will, I hate careless people".

It was just disgusting, she realized that she would hurt others and really did not care.  I pride myself on being one of the few honest people I know so why was I interested in this careless liar.

No comments:

Post a Comment